UF - HPS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Human Powered Submarine forums - http://hps.mae.ufl.edu/

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Javaprop numbers

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Neil
Newb

Javaprop numbers Empty
PostSubject: Javaprop numbers   Javaprop numbers EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 12:35 pm

Tim, can you post your most efficient settings that you got on javaprop? I figure it would be a good place to work off of.
Back to top Go down
Neil
Newb

Javaprop numbers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Javaprop numbers   Javaprop numbers EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 2:09 am

Well I think I remembered the settings for power, velocity, and rpm that Tim used and I used those to work out efficiency.

For a 3 blade prop I got:

B=3
n=250
D=1
Dsp=.1
v=4.63
T=500

This gives an efficiency of 78.281%

For a 2 blade prop, everything stayed the same except D which was changed to 1.03m

This gives an efficiency of 78.06%

These are the best numbers I could get. It seems that keeping the overall diameter to about 1.0 meter leads to the best efficiency. I have also been messing around with the numbers, and I am pretty sure that diameter means total diameter, so 2 times the length of one blade and the radius of the spinner. This means that the blade length is (D-Dsp)/2

Back to top Go down
Dana
Look at me im useful
Dana

Javaprop numbers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Javaprop numbers   Javaprop numbers EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 4:40 am

Neil, try a 4 blade prop. When we tested the small blades in the MIL, the 4 blade prop was the most efficient. I wanted to test them at lower rpms (ie for our application), but Andres said the thrust it would produce would be negligible.

Thanks!
Also, do you know how to CAD props? I posted a link on here somewhere that Chris (Neal, not Turner) sent me.

Hopefully we can meet up with micro air vehicles soon so we can start CNCing foam, and getting our hands dirty with the carbon fiber.
Back to top Go down
Dana
Look at me im useful
Dana

Javaprop numbers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Javaprop numbers   Javaprop numbers EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 4:41 am

also, it gives you the geometry for those specs, right? so you can CAD up a blade from the program?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Javaprop numbers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Javaprop numbers   Javaprop numbers Empty

Back to top Go down

Javaprop numbers
Page 1 of 1