UF - HPS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Human Powered Submarine forums - http://hps.mae.ufl.edu/

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

driver health sensor

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dana
Look at me im useful
Dana

driver health sensor Empty
PostSubject: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 10:49 pm

"maybe have a driver health sensor.. ie not just release the dead man switch
when the driver passes out but also to monitor his health and if something
terrible happens, we cd trigger the dead man switch" -Subrat

I'll see what I can find and post it here.
Back to top Go down
Dana
Look at me im useful
Dana

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 10:59 pm

Blood pressure monitors:

There are three types of blood pressure monitors
1) manual - this requires a nurse and a stethoscope, so this is not a viable option.
2) digital cuff - this would require the driver to have a cuff on his arm. I'm not sure what we would have to do to waterproof it, or if being in water would skew the readings.
3) digital finger - a cuff goes on the driver's finger and takes readings. It's supposed to be less accurate, but that might not matter for our purposes. ie if you have serious heart problems, it will give completely inaccurate readings. But if that were the case, you wouldn't want to be in a wet sub, 30 ft underwater (or whatever)
Back to top Go down
Dana
Look at me im useful
Dana

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 11:39 pm

Heart rate monitors:

usually consist of a chest strap and a receiver. For you mechanicals out there, the chest strap measures your heart rate and the receiver shows the heart rate. The receiver is usually a cell phone or a watch, but we can rig it to a computer and write a program that releases the dead man's switch if the heart rate is outside of a set range.

They also make heart rate monitors that don't have the chest strap. instead, there is a strap around your finger.
Back to top Go down
Marcos
I do important things of importance
Marcos

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 2:57 am

Unfortunately, our pilot is a chain smoker and his health is dubious at best.

Seriously, though, this may be adding some excessive complexity to our design - though I like the relatively extreme thought process, I think being limited as we are with money it may prove too far of a reach. In addition, it may not work well in a polar fluid like water.
Back to top Go down
Dana
Look at me im useful
Dana

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 10:20 pm

as far as health goes, I'm working on a plan for that.....
Back to top Go down
Morford
Wall Crash Test Dummy
Morford

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 11:07 pm

Who's health?
Back to top Go down
Dana
Look at me im useful
Dana

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 11:31 pm

The whole team. Don't worry, I'm not singling anyone out.
Except people on the team who can't swim.
Back to top Go down
Morford
Wall Crash Test Dummy
Morford

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 12:15 am

I can't swim
Back to top Go down
Marcos
Marcos

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 12:21 am

Your inability makes a great deal of sense, actually.
Back to top Go down
Dana
Look at me im useful
Dana

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 12:26 am

liar!
Back to top Go down
Blue
Ok....now im just wasting time
Blue

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 4:52 am

Haha...funny you suggested this idea. This was actually going to be implemented into the sub given enough time and of course money. Brandon, subrat, and myself talked about this before going home for the break and will most likely win us the innovation award hands down. It would work as just as the leading workout equipment...but its late and i really dont wanna type on how it works pretty much just imagine a workout thing in the sub so when we know when our chain smoker gives up on the race and crashes into a wall.
Back to top Go down
Morford
Wall Crash Test Dummy
Morford

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 12:01 pm

It would have been implemented into the sub provided I had given the okay for it, since I'm the engineering lead.

Also, you may want to reread your statements to see if you can add any clarity to them.
Back to top Go down
Dana
Look at me im useful
Dana

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 3:50 pm

Also, its not a "coincidence" that I posted this. Subrat emailed me after you guys talked about it, and he asked me to do some research.

Wait.. Morford, did they inform you about this? I lost your email address. can I have it again?
Back to top Go down
Morford
Wall Crash Test Dummy
Morford

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 6:42 pm

I remember a vague discussion a while ago about it, but nothing recently, obviously I'm out of the loop on a lot of stuff, even though I'm the Chief Engineer, there's been some decision making going on without my consultation first.

brian.morford@gmail.com
Back to top Go down
Morford
Wall Crash Test Dummy
Morford

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 6:43 pm

Also, I seriously doubt this would win an innovation award, if it won anything it would win the safety award.
Back to top Go down
Dana
Look at me im useful
Dana

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 1:52 am

Ok, whenever I hear anything, I'll let you know. I kinda feel out of the loop, too.
I just found out about that from Subrat because he happened to email me.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Ok....now im just wasting time
Blue

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 4:00 am

Forgot they had that one Wink
Back to top Go down
Brandon
I push buttons with letters
Brandon

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 6:39 pm

There should be an auto inflate system on the sub, so that if the dead-man goes off, the sub floats to the surface.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=2012206&ref=pro
Morford
Wall Crash Test Dummy
Morford

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 7:37 pm

No, that's actually somewhat dangerous, if you have air in your lungs and for what ever reason they become blocked, you could rupture your lungs, not to mention your ear drums. I think that there might actually be something in the rules against such a system.
Back to top Go down
Marcos
Marcos

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 8:03 pm

I believe an inflate system isn't out of the question - but it is more of a buoyancy control device (BC) - not as a safety recover device for the express reasons that it may actually kill or severely injure the pilot (as Morford said).

However, implementing it effectively, while not impossible (I had discussed this concept with Turner for last year but there was no time nor money to consider it fully) it can be problematic given our limited amount of space.

The more crap you stuff into our fiber-glass sardine can the less space there is for the sardine, er, pilot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: driver health sensor   driver health sensor Empty

Back to top Go down

driver health sensor
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UF - HPS :: HPS :: Submarine Forum :: Life Support and Safety-
Jump to: