UF - HPS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Human Powered Submarine forums - http://hps.mae.ufl.edu/

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Modeling the prop in Solidworks.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Neil
Newb

Modeling the prop in Solidworks. Empty
PostSubject: Modeling the prop in Solidworks.   Modeling the prop in Solidworks. EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 2:28 am

I found a program we can use to model the prop.

Designfoil

There is a 5 day demo, but I have read on different CAD/hobby forums that the easiest way to model props in Solidworks is to make them in Designfoil and then export them to Solidworks.

I think it is worth looking into.
Back to top Go down
Dana
Look at me im useful
Dana

PostSubject: Re: Modeling the prop in Solidworks.   Modeling the prop in Solidworks. EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 4:43 am

hold on, I think that's what Marcos used to make the elevators/rudders. We'll see when we get to the ASME lounge. It's on that poster he made for us.

If it is the same program, I can call/email him and we can talk about it if you have any questions.
Back to top Go down
Neil
Newb

PostSubject: Re: Modeling the prop in Solidworks.   Modeling the prop in Solidworks. EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 2:18 am

I kind of figured out how to fix the problem with lofting the propeller cross sections. Solidworks doesn't like the sharp trailing edge of the foil, so if you add a little thickness to it instead of a sharp edge, it will loft. However, I only managed to get it to loft a few sections at a time. It doesn't seem to want to loft the part in the center where the largest gap is at. Once we figure out how to get that part to loft, we should be able to loft the whole thing at once.
Back to top Go down
Dana
Look at me im useful
Dana

PostSubject: Re: Modeling the prop in Solidworks.   Modeling the prop in Solidworks. EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 2:34 am

I am going to ask Andres how he made the CAD of his props. Probably on Monday. If what I learn doesn't help from you, I can see if I can get Marcos to help. He made the CAD of the elevators/rudders.
Back to top Go down
Tim
Newb

PostSubject: Progress   Modeling the prop in Solidworks. EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 8:08 pm

Neil

Here is my prop design that I have

# of blades: 3
speed of rotation: 250
Diameter: 0.8
spinner Diam: 0.08
Velocity : 3.5
Thrust : 500

Airfoil: all point NACA 6416

This is a pretty thin propeller blade so it should be easier to make. I get almost a 90% efficiency

When it comes to solidworks try this method for a javaprop file:

delete all imported sketches that dont show up
insert a plane onto each sketch
draw a mean camber line (straight line from leading edge to the trailing edge)
use a 3-D sketch to draw a spline along the leading edge
use that line as the guide line for a Surface Loft
I've gotten very close to getting a propeller this way... i think my mean camber lines were a little off at a few segments, so try to keep it as close to the center of the leading edge as possible. I have just been swamped this past week but hopefully ill get it over the holiday and post my results.

Keep up the good work!

Go Gators!
Back to top Go down
Neil
Newb

PostSubject: Re: Modeling the prop in Solidworks.   Modeling the prop in Solidworks. EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 10:52 pm

I tried using Inventor and I didn't have any success. It seems like it is less capable than Solidworks and I couldn't even loft a single segment. It might just be that I am bad at inventor but I can't seem to be able to get it to work. I'm pretty sure anyone can get it from the autodesk student website for free if anyone else wants to give it a go.
Back to top Go down
Dana
Look at me im useful
Dana

PostSubject: Re: Modeling the prop in Solidworks.   Modeling the prop in Solidworks. EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 7:08 am

hey, we're going to ask Eitan to help us with the CAD in solidworks. If that doesn't work, we can talk to Andres in MIL. He made the CAD for all of those propellers we tested in MIL.
Back to top Go down
Dana
Look at me im useful
Dana

PostSubject: Re: Modeling the prop in Solidworks.   Modeling the prop in Solidworks. EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 7:10 am

actually, I already talked to Andres and he gave me a bunch of info. I gave it to Tim. There's this website that had a bunch of tutorials on how to make props in solidworks. There were also sample files that you could see how they made step by step. If you're interested, I can see if I can find that email.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modeling the prop in Solidworks.   Modeling the prop in Solidworks. Empty

Back to top Go down

Modeling the prop in Solidworks.
Page 1 of 1